Nov 3, 2010

WHICH OF THESE FOODS ARE GREAT FOR YOUR BONES?

A.) Nuts
B.) Milk
C.) Onions
D.) Whole-wheat bread

The answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE! New research shows that two other compounds, inulin (found in onions and wheat as well as in asparagus, artichokes, and bananas) and phytate (in nuts and whole grains) are also key. Inulin boosts calcium absorption, and phytate prevents bone mineral destruction. Bottom line; A diverse diet with LOTS of veggies and whole grains is CRUCIAL for healthy bones. This is my main reason that I grind my own grains for flour instead of using white refined flour for my baking/cooking. Remember that once you grind your wheat/spelt/kamut or other grains, store them in your fridge so as to keep the B6 vitamins in tact (see the VITAMINS section in my blog). If you have any bone-density issues or know you have arthritis (like myself), PLEASE take note and try implementing better eating habits so as not to loose any more bone!

No comments:

Post a Comment