I never bought fresh lemons. In fact, I never liked them growing up!
I lived off lemon juice from concentrate, if I ever needed it. But once I learned how awesome lemons are as digestive aids and liver cleansers, not to mention they have antiseptic and antibacterial properties, I buy a bag every month!
So what do I do with all those lemons?
- Drink lemon water daily to kick start digestive health and boost immune system
- Zest and dry to save for toppings or lemon flavoring
- Slice and freeze for ready to go water flavor enhances (or keep in water all day/change daily)
- Make your own lemon infused cleaner
- Get out stains/natural bleach alternative
- Disinfect cutting board
- Homemade salad dressings, use lemon in place of part or all vinegar
- Squeeze a little lemon on sauteed greens (or broccoli) to cut through bitter flavor
- Put slices of lemon in pan under fish to help cut the fishy taste during cooking (or squeeze over after)
- homemade lemonade (just add some sweetener and water)
*Feel free to comment on other things you've used lemons for.
You can also do many of these with lime. Cooking rice in lime juice and adding cilantro is yummy.