Mar 1, 2012

English Muffin Bread


So I think this recipe tastes really similar to English Muffins (and this is the third recipe I've tried).

This recipe is pretty much the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes recipe, which I adore and use constantly--but this one has my own tweaks and the porportions vary slightly.

However, the best part is that I rarely measure the yeast and salt exactly and it comes out fine still--same with Artisan bread. And there's no kneading or real effort involved at all. Just mix and let sit.

2 3/4 c warm water
1 1/2 T
yeast
1 T salt
1 1/2 T sugar
5 1/2 c flour (I use half white, half wheat and add 3 T vital wheat gluten also for fluffiness)

1. Mix all altogether and let rise in bowl until double. (I wait a few hours, but it varies)
2. Divide into 2 greased loaf pans and let rise until dough reaches the top of the pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (golden brown).
4. Brush top with butter when you pull it out, if desired. And let cool.

-----
The best way to eat this is to toast it and use it for one of the following...or other:
- egg muffins on it
- butter/jam
- tuna/crab/chicken cheese melt
- garlic salt/buttered! (great addition to soups and main courses)

*from Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment