This is a German soup Paul ate on his mission and it has now become our favorite and Christmas tradition.
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 T butter
1 1/2-2 lbs white asparagus (or green; reserve heads to use at end; but cut the stems)
5 1/2-6 c. chicken broth (this is key...add more bouillon for flavor as desired)
opt. 1/2 c. cream/milk/etc.
salt and pepper to taste (don't skimp on the salt!)
1. Sautee onion in butter 4 minutes until soft
2. Add asparagus stems (not heads) and steam 5 minutes
3. Add broth and boil gently 30 minutes (until asparagus is soft)
4. Puree soup in blender; return to pan (may need to strain asparagus stem fibers out)
5. Add asparagus heads and simmer (med-low) 5 minutes
Serve hot with sour cream optional
Submitted by Shelley Schneider