Oct 9, 2014

Whole Grain Blender Pancakes

Charise sent me this recipe and her tips for it awhile back, and I thought I'd post it. I've made it many times with adjustments, so I've put in my changes on this recipe. If you want to exact original you can ask her for it.
It uses soaked grains...just soak over night (for easier digestion) and then you can make them in the morning. (see hint at end about freezing it)
1 c whole wheat (spelt or kamut)
1/2 c flour
1 c milk (I use water and a tablespoon of yogurt)
2 tsp. baking powder 
2 eggs
2-3 T oil (melted butter or melted coconut oil)
1/2 c buttermilk (I just use water until desired consistency)
1 tsp. salt
2 T sweetener (rapadura or honey)
1. Rinse, and soak 1 cup of whole wheat kernels in purified water with 1 T of plain yogurt, buttermilk or kefir (lemon juice or acv also work) for at least 12 hours (I do a full day) on the counter.  
2. Rinse again before putting into the blender.
Next day:
3. Blend soaked whole grains, flour, milk on high speed for 5 minutes.  
4. While blending, add eggs, oil, buttermilk, salt and sweetener.  
5. Add baking powder in last minute.
6. Cook on a hot greased griddle till bubbles form then flip to cook the other side.  

Makes 18-20 pancakes. (If doubled...I use three eggs, not four.)

Hint:  I like to add a little whole grains at the last minute so they don't quite blend fully to add some texture to the pancakes.  If you want the batter more thick, add more flour but this consistency works great for us.  We double the recipe for 8 people.

Also.... First I rinse the grains, then soak about 10 cups of mixed grains (kamut or spelt and barley and oats) in a large bowl with 5 T of Kefir or yogurt for 24-48 hours.  Then, I rinse the grains again.  I then put 2 cups in each zip-lock bag and put in the freezer so they are ready to put in my blender pancake recipe.  It works out great because you are locking in the nutrients and the pancakes are somewhat sourdough but not exposed to the heat of dehydration after the soaking process and you don't have to have a sourdough start.  It is also very easy to dump in all ingredients into the blender!  
from Charise

No comments:

Post a Comment