Oct 29, 2012

Tuscan Bean Soup

I love this soup because there's no cream or milk in it and it's loaded with kale! This recipe is very versatile and measurements are quite forgiving.

2 T oil (I use butter or chicken fat)
1/2 c.  yellow onion, chopped 
1 garlic clove, minced
1-2 cans drained cannellini beans (or I soak mine the night before and cook them all day in crockpot)
1 t fennel seeds
6-8 c broth ( i use homemade chicken broth)
1 c. tomatoes, diced
2-4 cooked sausages, in small pieces (i used the little chicken sausages at Costco, but any sausages or ground sausage works)
6 c. kale (just the leaves, remove hard stems)
1/2 c brown rice or barley, etc (opt)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Sautee the onion and garlic in oil/butter 5 mins. 
2. Add beans, fennel, broth, brown rice and tomatoes. Cook for awhile (about 20 mins if not adding brown rice, but 1 hour if you are. And I use dehydrated tomatoes sometimes)
3. Blend half of the soup (so it's thicker).
4. Add cooked sausage and kale and cook 5 more minutes.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yum. 
I use dried beans and soak them overnight, then drain and cook all day in the crockpot. So I normally do about the amount two cans would be so I can blend up about one can's worth. Then I add the other stuff and cook from there if you want. And dried onion and garlic works well for that too.
Also, if you want to add celery or carrot or even more kale before you blend, then you get that much more veggies blended into the thickness of the soup (hidden). :)


No comments:

Post a Comment