Apr 6, 2012

Perfect Pocket Pitas--with little effort!

Holy Cow! I cannot tell you how awesomely these pitas puffed up into a pocket! I mean look...this is my photo.... Wow! I can't say it's the best flavor to eat the next day, because it's not super soft and pliable like most store-bought white flour things would be--but it's not bad, not bad at all!

After I made these I just had to call someone over to share it with. But alas, hubby at work late and neighbor MIA (busy away from home). So...I ate this--no, savored it as a gyro. Soooo yummy, I finally think I made it like my Mom (but with homemade pitas this time).

So it's super easy! Just use the no-knead recipe! If you're familiar with it, just use this summary from that post I pasted here:
Pita
--
Fist size, 1/8”
0
500
5-7
Stone
no
keep cooked pitas in towel
Here's the post: http://2nourishyourbody.blogspot.com/2011/06/simple-artisan-bread-in-five-minutes.html

If you're not, you should read the post anyway, but here's a summary of the basic idea:

Base Recipe (I'd 1/4 or 1/2 the recipe if you just want to make a few)
3 c. warm water
1 1/2 T yeast (I only use 1 T, which is fine for longer dough raising)
1 1/2 T salt (not needed: I only use 1 T)
6 1/2 c. flour (I use half white, half wheat and 1T of vital wheat gluten per cup wheat flour)
opt. flax seeds, ground (I used about 1/4 to 1/2 cup and maybe took out a tid bit of flour)

Mix it all together in large glass or ceramic bowl and cover with towel. Let sit for up to 12 hours. Then preheat oven to 500 and take out fist sizes of dough and roll 1/8th in. thin circles. Place on hot stone and cook 5-7 minutes until puffed to perfection. When you take them out, leave them in a towel in the microwave, to keep them moist and soft and warm. Then cut and stuff!

Now try our gyros recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment