Dec 28, 2011

Dutch Baby Pancakes

2 c freshly ground spelt, kamut or whole wheat flour (I use a 5-7 grain mixture)
2 c buttermilk, kefir or yoghurt
8 eggs
2 t vanilla extract
1 t sea salt
1 c filtered water
6-8 T butter
pinch of nutmeg and/or cinnamon (optional)

Soak flour in buttermilk (I make my own buttermilk using a good quality plain yoghurt and pure water (about 50/50 ratio)).  Leave this mixture in a bowl with a dish towel over the top and in a warm place for 12-24 hours.  The longer you leave it, the more sour it becomes so I prefer 12 hours because I haven't acquired the taste of sourdough completely yet.  This soaking of the flour will make it a lot easier for your body to digest the whole grains...yeah!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat eggs for several minutes.  Add flour mixture, vanilla, water, and salt and process another minute.  Get 2 13x9 inch pans (I use glass) and 1 9x9 inch pans ready and cut/distribute the butter between all 3 dishes.  Place all 3 pans in the oven to melt the butter and when the butter starts to sizzle and the dishes are heated well, pull them out.  Pour the batter in the hot pans and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  I like to turn the temperature down to 375 after putting them in so the edges don't brown as much. 

After they are done, I often sprinkle them with a cinnamon/sugar mixture and serve them with fresh berries and a little pure maple syrup.  YUMMMMM........... 

No comments:

Post a Comment