2 c. kosher salt
½ c. butter, melted
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 c. dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- Rub turkey inside and out with kosher salt and place in a large stock pot and cover with water.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow turkey to soak overnight in the salt and water mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly rinse the turkey and discard the brine mixture.
- Brush the turkey with ½ the melted butter. Place breast side down on a roasting rack in a shallow roasting pan. Stuff the turkey cavity with 1 onion, ½ the carrots, ½ the celery, 1 sprig of thyme and the bay leaf. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the bottom of the roasting pan and cover all with the white wine.
- Roast uncovered 3 ½ to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180 degrees F.
- Carefully turn the turkey breast side up about 2/3 through the roasting time and brush with remaining butter.
- Allow the bird to stand about 30 minutes before carving!
*Recipe by Julie Haltiner