Rainy weather plus overabundance of onions = French onion soup!
This is a very versatile recipe dependin gon preferences.
2-4 onions, thinly sliced (depending on your like of onions)
2 T butter
1 T sugar (I used rapudura)
1-3 T balsamic vinegar (or apple juice or something similar)
8 c beef broth
swiss cheese (for topping soup and/or bread)
1. Sautee onion in butter for 12 minutes until brown and limp.
2. Add vinegar or juice for one minute until evaporated (to flavor and help the pan not blacken from sauteeing)
3. add sugar and cook one more minute.
4. Add Broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. ladle into soup bowls and top with some grated cheese and even sliced cheese if you want to then put bowls in the oven to broil the sliced cheese over the soup bowl.
*Tastes great using garlic butter french bread toasted/broiled with swiss cheese on top to dip/break into the soup! The original recipe called for sherry instead of vinegar, but I used pomegranite flavored vinegar and it tasted great.